Areas of Practice

Business / Investor Visas
Fiancé Visa
Marriage Based Green Card
Green Cards
Political Asylum
U.S. Citizenship
Immigration Detention and Bond

Marriage Based Green Card

After a wedding with an American citizen, both of the spouses must complete a number of documents that will permit the foreigner to get a green card, and send these documents to the appropriate immigration office.

A wedding is not always a guarantee that you will get a green card; to obtain a green card both of the spouses must fulfill certain requirements, such as the minimum income of the American citizen or the foreigner’s state of health.

If you are a foreigner that has married a US citizen after the validity of your stay in the USA has expired, then until you receive a confirmation of the acceptance of your case from the immigration office, your stay is still illegal. A marriage license does not permit you to stay in this case.

What is the procedure for obtaining a green card through marriage?

1) Send all the documents to the immigration office. If your application is accepted, you will be informed by mail. At this time you are in the “pending” process and you are entitled to stay in the country legally even after exceeding the period of your stay. If you send documents that have been filled in incorrectly or incompletely, the immigration office will return them all to you with a request to correct or add the relevant information.

2) After the acceptance of the application the foreigner must come to the immigration office within a certain period of time and provide his/her fingerprints.

3) As soon as the immigration office checks to make sure your fingerprints are not in the criminal database, you will receive a work and travel permit.

4) If you fulfill all the conditions for the bestowment of a green card, you will receive a letter in a number of weeks with information that both of the spouses must come to the immigration office for an interview.

5) Following a successful interview and the complete approval of your application by the immigration officials, you will be sent your green card.

Length of the process from the submission of the application: 3–6 months. Our office can ensure you a smooth immigration process. Please contact us for further information.

About Us

Varga’s Immigration Attorneys PLLC is a private immigration law firm established in Miami, Florida. Our entire team consists of immigrants, who went through the immigration process firsthand.

Read more

Our Offices


10600 Chevrolet Way Ste. 223 Estero, FL 33928
Tel: 239 324 3062
Fax: 239 465 0630


333 SE 2nd Ave Suite 2036, Miami, FL 33131
Tel: 786 871 3373
Fax: 407 770 5580

San Francisco

400 Oyster Point Blvd., Ste. 422, South San Francisco
Tel:415 812 5115
Fax:415 840 1735

New York

244 Fifth Ave, Suite D167
All mail correspondence must me sent to Bonita Springs Office.