Areas of Practice
Marriage Based Green Card
After a wedding with an American citizen, both of the spouses must complete a number of documents that will permit the foreigner to get a green card, and send these documents to the appropriate immigration office.
A wedding is not always a guarantee that you will get a green card; to obtain a green card both of the spouses must fulfill certain requirements, such as the minimum income of the American citizen or the foreigner’s state of health.
If you are a foreigner that has married a US citizen after the validity of your stay in the USA has expired, then until you receive a confirmation of the acceptance of your case from the immigration office, your stay is still illegal. A marriage license does not permit you to stay in this case.
What is the procedure for obtaining a green card through marriage?
1) Send all the documents to the immigration office. If your application is accepted, you will be informed by mail. At this time you are in the “pending” process and you are entitled to stay in the country legally even after exceeding the period of your stay. If you send documents that have been filled in incorrectly or incompletely, the immigration office will return them all to you with a request to correct or add the relevant information.
2) After the acceptance of the application the foreigner must come to the immigration office within a certain period of time and provide his/her fingerprints.
3) As soon as the immigration office checks to make sure your fingerprints are not in the criminal database, you will receive a work and travel permit.
4) If you fulfill all the conditions for the bestowment of a green card, you will receive a letter in a number of weeks with information that both of the spouses must come to the immigration office for an interview.
5) Following a successful interview and the complete approval of your application by the immigration officials, you will be sent your green card.
Length of the process from the submission of the application: 3–6 months. Our office can ensure you a smooth immigration process. Please contact us for further information.